Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mum and Marco thought I was asleep.

“Does anyone want some lunch? I can make something and let you know when it’s ready.” Mum said to us. Michael and Aidan were both hungry, and Cait was still in the water. I had been asleep on the blanket but was beginning to regain consciousness.

“Kiki? Are you hungry? Marco said. I ignored him, not having found my voice yet after my long snooze. “He’s still asleep. He didn’t sleep well last night. He was up and on the computer at 4:30.” Marc said to mum.

“You call him Kiki? He lets you get away with it?” Mum said.

“Yeah, but he said he’d punch anyone else who called him that. I usually don’t call him that in public. Don’t let him know.”

“I think it’s cute. Do you mind if I sit down and talk with you for a minute?”

“Sit. What’s up?”

“Marco, when I first met you a couple of weeks ago, I was pretty cold to you. I want you to know that it wasn’t you that I was upset with. It has been hard for me to accept that Ciar is gay, although I think I knew it before he did.”

“That’s ok; it must be hard to accept that your only son is not going to have the life you want for him.”

“No, it’s not ok. You didn’t deserve to be treated that way. I want you to know that I’m glad that Ciar met you. I’ve seen the way you look at him and I can tell you really care.”

“I love him more than I ever thought I could love anyone. It scares me because he’s so young, but I’m willing to take a chance.”

“Please look out for him, he’s always been too naïve and trusting. He’s lucky to have found you.”

“No, I’m the lucky one.”

No comments: