Friday, August 21, 2009

‘Out’ at the barbeque

This evening we went to a barbeque at our neighbours’ house. The daughter has always had a crush on me but, up until last summer, I had a girlfriend. She’s a couple of years younger than me but I always knew that if I was straight, she would be my type. She reminds me of Hayley Mills in the original Parent Trap – kind of boyish and cute.

I had fallen asleep so Mum, Cait, Aidan, and Michael went on without us. We showed up 15 minutes later and everything seemed ok, except there was whispering here and there. People were just beginning to realize that Aidan and Michael were a couple. Then in we walk – holding hands! The daughter’s jaw dropped open, the mother’s eyes popped out of her head, and the general conversation came to a screeching halt.

The mother tried to choke back her surprise. After a few stuttering attempts at speech, she was able to welcome us. Mum just sat there with a tight-lipped smile pasted onto her face.

No comments: